Saturday, April 12, 2008

Purse Snatchers

Those of you who know me well know that I love playing golf. I'm not a big fan of watching golf on TV, mind you; mostly because it's so boring, and I've got the kind of attention span that would bridge a peninsula to the mainland. In truth, I think it's a fore-gone conclusion that anyone who likes golf on television must also be the guy that finds it titillating to watch the grass growing back in old divots. So, needless to say, I'm not really following the Masters this weekend.

But, after a conversation with my brother this morning about the relative size of purses in today's dollars, I realized it was all of a sudden very important for me to sit in front of my computer for a spell and write down my thoughts for no one in particular to read, rather than playing with my kids. Hmm. At least I have the issue of watching sports on TV right.

Anyways, much has been said of how great Tiger is, and how much he has made. (I wonder why this number is so different than the golf digest number above?) But check this out: Gary Player, who missed the cut yesterday and has the dubious honor of coming in dead last at the Masters this year, who nevertheless won 9 majors in his time, only made a meager $1,000,000 in career earnings? Wow. Only a million bucks for one of the all time greats.

That's less than $3,000,000 in todays money.

But then again, he's 72 and still playing at Augusta. That's a pretty rich life.

No comments: