Saturday, June 14, 2008

Just in time for Father's Day

My son and I were out playing golf today, and as usual, we were having quite a good time. As we were walking towards the green, I reached down and grabbed his hand and told him I loved him.

"I love you, too, Dad." he replied

In saying "I love you more!", I started the age-old game.

"No, I love you more" "No, I love YOU more"

This went on for a few moments, until I tried to change the game, "How much DO you love me? To the moon and back?" This was, of course, a breach in children's comparative questioning etiquette. Going to the moon before some earthly and visible marker is like going to double dog dare before double dare. That's a definite no-no.

I had half expected him to go straight to penultimate 'I love you to infinity', which has been his strategy of choice of late (penultimate because there's always the over-the-top 'to infinity and beyond'), but I also half expected him to think about the effectiveness of only going to PLUTO THE PLUTOID, given that we've been talking about and learning about the poor old has been so much in the last few days.

In reality, he didn't even pause with his reply. He said with a deadpan face to my lunar question: "No way. That's how much I love God. I only love you up to the flag over there."

No comments: