Monday, June 9, 2008

We're a Pair O' Ducks

For EMMA, it seems that every day (or at least some portion thereof) has been opposite day lately. I was trying to explain to her that the statement 'Today is opposite day.' is a logical paradox: if it is a true statement, then because it is said today, the opposite statement must be true, and therefore today is not opposite day. That makes the original statement both true and not true at the same time in the same respect, which is only valid if there's a 'Friedrich' somewhere in your name.

This sort of paradox is kind of similar to Jourdain's Paradox (except that opposite day is not double reflexive):

The statement below the line is true.
--------------------------------------------
The statement above the line is false.

Anyways, she answered my longwinded explanation by saying with a smile: "Are you opposing me, Daddy?"

I'm so, so proud of my little girl.

No comments: